- Government indicates that Law Society will lose practising fee funding
The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has given its strongest indication yet that, once the legal regulators become independent, lawyers will no longer be compelled to make a financial contribution to their representative bodies.
A spokesman ...
- Legal aid cuts trigger 47 per cent drop in family mediation
Legal aid cuts have triggered a dramatic drop in the number of divorcing couples opting for mediation, according to the latest government figures.
Judicial guidance requires couples contemplating a divorce to consider mediation before...
- Law Society high street firms survey 2012
The Law Society, in collaboration with the Legal Services Board and the Ministry of Justice, is undertaking an important survey of law firms in England and Wales as part of a longer-term project to assess the effects of the significant regulatory...
- Law Society launches stinging attack on SRA plan for massive fining powers
Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) plans to introduce multi-million pound fines for law firms are a “significant breach of Parliament’s intentions” and in any case wrong on policy grounds, the Law Society has claimed.
- MoJ survey questions impact of law firm advertising
A survey for the MoJ based on telephone interviews with more than 900 law firm clients has revealed that only five per cent chose their lawyer through advertising.
This proportion is smaller than the eight per cent who "saw local offices"...
- Are firms ready for the MOJ changes on the 30th April 2010?
The procedures for dealing with road traffic claims that fall between £1,000 and £10,000 in value are being streamlined using a new online portal from the Ministry of Justice. All companies that act for claimants where the claim is...
- No-win no-fee tribunal claim controls edge closer
Further details of the Ministry of Justice's (MoJ) plans to curb and control no-win no-fee arrangements in employment tribunal claims were given this week.
The ministry plans to give the Lord Chancellor the power, via additions to the...